Our recipe contributor Alyssa Noui has our mouths watering yet again this week! If you are a baklava fan, you will love this date and pistachio bar tinged with exotic spices and aromas. Perfect for a light spring snack with a coffee or tea, or just by itself on the go. They will warm your chilly spring mornings with the delicious flavours of cinnamon and cardamom, and the uplifting effects of saffron will certainly put a spring in your step.
Tahini Baklava Bars
by Alyssa Noui
1 cup packed dates, pitted (deglet nour or medjool)*
1 pinch saffron
1 tablespoon hot water
2 tablespoons rosewater
- 2 tablespoons honey (maple syrup or agave for vegan option)
- 1/4 cup tahini
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup roasted unsalted pistachios or walnuts coarsely chopped, plus more for topping
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (gluten free for GF eaters)
- Process dates in a food processor until small bits remain (about 1 minute). It should pull away from the sides of the processor and form a ball.
- For a deeper nuttier flavor in your bar, toast your oats in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly golden brown.
- Place oats, almonds and dates in a large mixing bowl – set aside.
- Infuse saffron in 1 tablespoon of hot water for 1 minute. Pour into tahini and honey. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to disperse throughout.
- Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to an 8×8-inch baking dish or other small pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper so they lift out easily.
- Sprinkle a layer of pistachios on top.
- Press down firmly until uniformly flattened – I use something flat, like a drinking glass, to press down and really pack the bars, which helps them hold together better.
- Cover with parchment or plastic wrap, and let firm up in fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove bars from pan and cut into 10 even bars. Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. Freeze for up to one month.