I’m not exactly into diets… I think a balanced lifestyle (with treats now and then, and everything in moderation) should be the focus rather than binge diets. But for those who are trying to shed holiday over-indulgence and get on that balanced track, here is a light and simple dessert that won’t pack on the pounds like all those holiday pies! In this case, portion control is key!
If the January blues are getting to you, this rice pudding is full of zesty orange and that spike of nutmeg and clove – exactly the pick-me-up you need on those sleepy January evenings.
I also have a love for the dainty French cuisinerie that is la cocotte, and wanted to show you how to use them to make really cute desserts like this rice pudding. I ordered mine from Bed Bath and Beyond online, but you can get them from various cooking stores.
I’ve also made it dairy-free (made with coconut milk!) So…Enjoy this wintery treat!
Coconut Rice Pudding
2 cups (500mL) full fat coconut milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange blossom essence
2 tsp ground nutmeg, and extra for sprinkling
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup super fine sugar
1/2 cup arborio rice (uncooked); 1 cup arborio rice (cooked)
1 Tblsp fresh orange zest
- Cook 1/2 cup of arborio rice. (Follow directions on package)
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F. Place the coconut milk, vanilla, orange blossom essence, nutmeg, clove, eggs, and sugar and whisk well to combine.
- Stir in 1 cup of arborio rice and combine well.
- Place 4 ramekins in a deep baking dish, allowing space between them.
- Pour the rice mixture evenly between the 4 ramekins, filling to the top. Clean up the edges and spills.
- Fill the baking dish half-way up with hot water.
- Place in the oven (carefully!) and bake for 50-60mins, or until just set.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and grated orange zest.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
SHOP FRENCH COOKWARE