Valentine’s Day is usually coloured in reds and pinks, but I wanted to change it up this year with a cheerful pineapple hearts upside-down cake! This cake is gluten free, but still delightfully soft and moist and will certainly be a crowd pleaser, if not only for your special Valentine.
Gluten-Free Pineapple Hearts Upside-Down Cake
*Adapted from myrecipes.com
- 1/8 cup cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 Tblsp water
- 1 whole pineapple, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 baking powder
- 1/2 cup plain cultured coconut yoghurt
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9″ round cake pan with coconut oil. Evenly coat the base of the pan with cinnamon.
- Cut the pineapple into heart shapes, or use a small heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out the pieces.
- In a large pan, place the brown sugar, 2 Tblsp butter, vanilla pod, and 2 Tblsp water. Heat on medium heat until the sugar is dissolved (about 5 mins).
- Place the pineapple hearts in the pan in one layer, and cover with rum. Cook for about 5 mins. Then flip them over and cook for a remaining 5mins, or until they start to caramelize.
- Place the pineapple hearts in the cake pan in one layer. Cover with remaining rum, sugar sauce.
- In a bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Melt the remaining 2 Tblsp of butter, and whisk together with the coconut yoghurt and olive oil.
- In a stand-mixer, beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high speed for about 5mins, until they become light and creamy. Once they are beaten enough, add the flour mixture and coconut yoghurt mixture alternately to the egg mixture, until is nicely combined, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour over the pineapple hearts and spread out evenly. Bake for about 30-35mins or until golden brown on top.
- Cool cake in the pan completely before turning out onto a serving plate.