My Mom has always loved lemon poppy seed breads and this gluten-free version is dedicated to her. She’s visiting me for the weekend so will enjoy some nibbles with her coffee…
Mother’s Day Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (I used King Arthur’s)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tblsp grated lemon zest
2 1/2 Tblsp poppy seeds
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 almond milk
1 Tblsp lemon juice (half a lemon squeezed)
1/2 cup – 3/4 cup powdered sugar
3 Tblsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Grease and flour the inside of a 8″ loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, poppy seeds, and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In stand-mixer, beat the butter on medium for a minute or two until its light and creamy. Add the sugar until combined. While beating, add the eggs one at a time. Beat until the batter is light and fluffy. Finally add the vanilla.
- Alternating dry and wet (starting with the flour), add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the batter, then add 1/3 of the almond milk. Continue with the flour and alternate with the almond milk until everything is well combined and the batter is light and fluffy. This is important to make the cake light and airy.
- Finally add the lemon juice to the batter and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and smooth out the top with a spatula. Bake for 50-60mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. **If the top of your cake starts to brown too much, you can put tin foil over the top after 30-40mins of bake time. This will ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Remove loaf from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Prepare the lemon glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. You can add more sugar if you want a thicker glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and smooth over with a spatula. Allow to dry then top with a lemon peel.
- You can wrap your cake in parchment paper like I did – making a lovely gift for Mother’s Day!