Nothing says holiday like Mandarin oranges in season, and I love scooping them up to make a variety of sweet treats! I started with Mandarin Orange Cookies, and now am onto a delicious and easy French Toast made with the Italian Christmas bread, panettone! I’m making these with mini panettone (1 per person), but you could certainly just cut up one large panettone!
Mandarin Orange Panettone French Toast
- 2 small panettone italian bread
- 4 mandarin oranges, peeled
- 1/2 sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 orange for zesting
- yoghurt and maple syrup for topping
- In a medium saucepan, place the mandarin orange slices with 1/2 sugar, 1 cinnamon stick, vanilla seeds plus the remaining pod, and 1/2 cup water on medium heat. Let sit until you get a gentle bubble. Add a dash of orange zest. Cook for about 20mins, or until the mandarin oranges become soft and sticky. Keep on low heat while preparing french toast.
- Slice the panetonne into 1/2″ thick pieces. Dip into the beaten egg. Fry on each side in a greased, hot skillet or pan for approx. 3mins a side or until golden brown.
- Arrange the french toast on a plate and top with the mandarin orange mixture, yoghurt, maple syrup, and orange zest.