Not too sweet, not too heavy, nice and light, now let’s eat it already!
Flourless Carrot Cake
5 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extrat
1/2 cup olive oil
3 3/4 cups almond meal
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
400g carrots (about 3/4 of a bag) peel and grated
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup California Walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
Dairy-Free Coconut “Cream Cheese” Frosting
2 cans full fat coconut milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
shaved coconut for topping
- Prepare the coconut cream for the whipped cream cheese frosting. Place coconut milk cans, upside-down, in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight. Remove from fridge and open around the bottom. Pour out the clear coconut milk liquid and spoon the thick coconut cream into a small bowl, and place in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line the base of a lightly greased springform pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a stand-mixer, whisk the eggs, sugar, and vanilla on medium-high for about 15mins or until they become thick and doubled in volume.
- In a large bowl, place the oil, almond meal, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, carrot, coconut, walnuts, and raisins and mix well to combine.
- Fold the egg mixture into the almond mixture, 1/3 at a time, and stir well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the springform pan, and bake for 1 hour 20mins or until an inserted toothpick on the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before refrigerating for 2-3 hours until firm.
- Frosting: Remove the coconut cream from the fridge. In a stand-mixer, whisk the coconut cream until light and fluffy. While whisking, add the apple cider vinegar and sugar (add more sugar if you would like sweeter!)
- Remove the cake from the fridge, and smooth the coconut “cream cheese” frosting over top. Top with shaved coconut pieces.