For all my friends who celebrate Chanukah, these sugar cookies are for you! Delightfully blue and white and shaped in the Star of David, they have a subtly sweet peppermint flavouring that makes them irresistible! If you celebrate Christmas, try my Ho Ho Ho Painted Sugar Cookies!
Chanukah Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, room temp.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- star cookie cutter
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3-4 Tblsp water
- blue food colouring
- white shimmer sprinkles
- In a large bowl, or stand-mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and well combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture a 1/3 at a time. At this point the mixture will start to form a dough.
- Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a thick disc and wrap well with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for an hour, or also overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375F/180C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take one of the discs out of the fridge and let stand for 15mins until the dough has softened and is easier to roll. Roll the dough out to a large circle or rectangle, about 1/8″ in thickness. Take your star cookie cutter (or any cookie cutter shape you want!) and start cutting out your shapes! Place each cut-out onto the parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for about 6mins until just starting to golden. Allow to cool.
- Sift the confectioner’s sugar into a medium bowl. Add the almond extract and water until you get a runny frosting. Add two drops of the blue food colouring (add more if you want a deeper blue) You can add more water to get a runnier consistency if need be.
- Dip the top of each cookie in the frosting, sprinkle the white shimmer sprinkles over-top, and set back onto the parchment paper, or drying wrack to dry for several hours.