Banana bread is one of my favourite comfort foods… The moist and dense banana, coupled with rich chocolate chips (slightly melted from the heat), all combined in one bread is, without a doubt, a source of great joy. On those days that I need some extra TLC, a loving bite into this sound sweetness becomes my sanctuary.
CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD *GF
**make sure all ingredients are at room temp.
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temp.
6 over-ripe bananas thawed from freezer (2 cups mashed)
1 vanilla bean pod
2 cup gluten free flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9″ loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- To ensure an extra rich and moist banana bread, I like to use blackened over-ripe bananas, that have been frozen and thawed. The more ripe the banana, the sweeter! And the freeze/thaw process makes the banana more moist. Mash the bananas in a bowl.
- In a stand-mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and beat together until smooth.
- Add the mashed bananas and beat until combined.
- Run a sharp knife along the middle of the vanilla bean pod. Using the knife edge, scrape out the black seeds. Add the seeds to the batter and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the batter and beat until all the ingredients are well-combined.
- Turn off the mixer, and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the loaf pan. Bake for approx. 1 hour or until golden brown. If the top of your loaf begins to brown too much, simply cover with aluminium foil towards the end of the bake time.