Having an impressive yet easy dessert is always good to have in your arsenal of recipes. A quick and easy Chocolate Croissant recipe (ie the American bastard version of the elegant Pain au Chocolat… The French would swiftly agree…) is just the thing to whip up this holiday for your family and friends! I buy frozen puffed pastry from the store, which saves loads of time in making my own, cut it into the square size I want, and roll some good-quality dark chocolate inside. It only takes a few minutes! Et voilà!
Easy Chocolate Croissants
- 1 roll frozen puffed pastry, thawed
- 50g good-quality dark chocolate
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 385F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Chop the dark chocolate into small strips approx. 1 inch long and 1/4″ thick.
- On a floured surface, unroll the puffed pastry and gently roll out the kinks.
- Cut the pastry into squares of preferred size (if you want to make mini croissants, make smaller squares)
- Place two pieces of chocolate on each square, leaving some room in between, and roll the dough over the chocolate and secure underneath (see video above for details.) Its important the seems are on the bottom, otherwise the pastry will unravel during baking.
- Gently beat an egg, and using a pastry brush, brush each croissant with egg wash (see video.)
- Bake in the oven for 10-15mins or until puffed and golden brown.
Makes about 12 small croissants.