Halloween is upon us and I’ve made a devilishly decadent chocolate cake! This recipe is a variation on a family recipe that I made – “Grandma’s Poppy Seed Cake”. Delicious chocolate ganache buttercream between layers of a dense poppy seed cake make for the perfect Halloween treat.
Chocolate Poppy Seed Layer Cake
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 300mL almond milk
- 1 Tblsp espresso
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 can (12.5 oz) Solo poppy seed pastry filling
- 1 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 stick (1 cup) softened butter
- 2/3 milk
- dry poppy seeds to top
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until light and frothy. Then add the olive oil and espresso.
- Alternating the flour mixture and almond milk in thirds, add to the egg batter.
- Add the poppyseed filling and stir into the batter.
- Pour in equal parts into two 9″ round pans, greased and floured.
- Bake for approx. 30mins. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Cut off the rounded tops of the cake so that you get two flat pieces.
- For the frosting, beat together the butter cocoa powder, powdered sugar and milk until creamy.
- Spread the chocolate frosting between the two cake layers, and on top. Sprinkle with dried poppy seeds to finish!