Whenever I’m in Europe (as I have been for the fashion weeks), I never forget to pick up an Elle à Table or Elle a Tavola (basically meaning Elle to Table in French and Italian respectively – or Elle’s food magazine. Can we get an American one please?) I found a delicious recipe for a chocolate tart in Elle a Tavola, and using my rudimentary Italian translated it. Its a European recipe, so the measurements are in weight (and also more accurate.) So time to invest in a scale if you haven’t already! I changed a few things to make it a bit less fattening, and added a luxurious meringue on top as my own personal touch. Its delicate, pillowy, and delicious. Enjoy!
Chocolate Meringue Tart
- 90g butter, (soft is fine)
- 30g powdered sugar
- 20g almond flour
- 170g flour
- 1 egg
- 120mL coconut milk, full fat
- 200g 70% dark chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 egg whites
- 8 Tblsp superfine sugar
- pinch of cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- Prepare the pastry dough by combining the butter, powdered sugar, and almond flour in a stand mixer. Add the egg and mix until well incorporated.
- While slowly beating, add 150g of the flour slowly until a dough forms. Use the remaining 20g of flour to flour a work-surface to roll the dough into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 20mins.
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and butter a metal tart pan (as shown in the images – you can use round or rectangular)
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out in either a long rectangle, or round, to fit the tart pan shape you’re using. Place the dough into the tart pan and press into the sides of the tart pan. Cut off remaining edges with a knife. Bake for appox. 15mins, or until golden brown. Remove to cool while preparing the chocolate filling.
- Arrange a double-boiler on the stove, and melt the chocolate and coconut milk together on low heat. Once melted, turn off the heat, and slowly add the eggs, whisking continually to incorporate into the chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the tart pan and smooth the top. Turn down the oven heat to 230F, and bake for 20mins.
- Remove and allow to cool COMPLETELY! (This is where I made a mistake – I added the meringue on top while the chocolate filling was still warm from the oven, and the meringue sank too far into the chocolate. Still yummy though!)
- Preheat the oven Boiler to low.
- In a stand-mixer, whisk the egg whites on high. When they start to become frothy, add the salt and cream of tartar. When they begin to form a thick white, add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the meringue onto the chocolate tart. Brown in the oven for about a minute max – or until the top becomes browned.