Chocolate-Dipped Whole Wheat Doughnuts
**Use any pizza dough recipe (either white or whole wheat), or fresh store-bought pizza dough. I used my own whole wheat pizza dough recipe:
90g whole wheat bread flour
95g all-purpose flour
1 package quick rising yeast
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 cup hot water
1 Tblsp olive oil
For deep fry:
1 bottle of oil (vegetable or light olive oil)
250g dark chocolate
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1 cup icing sugar
Directions for doughnuts:
(If using fresh store-bought dough skip Step 1)
1. Combine all dry ingredients together, then combine the water and oil slowly until you get a slightly sticky ball of dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, and knead into a smooth ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl and set aside to rise for 10-20mins.
2. Place a heavy saucepan with 1 inch of oil (can use vegetable or olive oil) on high heat. The oil should not be smoking, so adjust temperature appropriately. To test when the oil is hot enough to deep dry the doughnuts, place a tiny size of dough into the oil and if it sizzles and bubbles, the oil is hot enough!
3. Remove the dough from the bowl and turn onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll the dough out to 1/4inch thick (or 1/2inch if you want thicker doughnuts.) With a circle cutter, or the top of a glass, cut out rounds in the dough. In each round, using a knife, cut a circle in the middle to create the doughnut hole. Set the removed centre aside (don’t throw it out!)
4. With a spatula, lift the dough rounds and place into the hot oil to deep fry. When golden brown, remove from the oil with tongs or a spatula, and place on a wooden cutting board to cool.
5. With the reserved extra dough (from when the centres were cut out) roll into small balls to make mini doughnuts. Place in hot oil to deep fry. Remove and allow to cool as above.
*Makes about 12 ounces/350g pizza dough
Directions for toppings:
Break 250g of dark chocolate into pieces and melt in a double boiler. Dip the top half of each doughnut round into the chocolate and set on a wire wrack or cutting board to cool for 5mins. Then sprinkle with sprinkles and allow to cool completely.
Put the icing sugar in a medium bowl. Assemble a circle frosting tip and piping bag, then fill the piping bag with strawberry jam. Poke the frosting tip into the side of a mini doughnut and squeeze the jam into the centre until filled. Roll each mini doughnut in icing sugar.
Nicholas Kirkwood shoes go doughnuts!
|Pic courtesy NicholasKirkwood.com|