What are your favourite pancakes?
Pancakes are a weekend favourite (who am I kidding, an anytime favourite). I wanted to make a more decadent pancake, but still somewhat health-charged, so I paired chia seeds with cocoa powder to make fluffy and delightful little pancakes. I roasted plums on an iron skillet with cinnamon and sugar, and what a glorious topping they make for any kind of pancake!
Chocolate Chia Pancakes with Spiced Plums
- 1 Tblsp cacao powder
- 1 Tblsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tblsp chocolate, melted
- 1 Tblsp chia seeds
- 1 1/3 cup gluten free flour
- 1 Tblsp corn meal
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup almond milk (add more if the batter is too thick)
- 1 Tblsp oil
- about 10-15 small plums, peeled and pitted, and quartered
- 1 Tblsp sugar
- half a cinnamon stick
- In an iron skillet (or regular pan), combine 1 Tblsp sugar with about 2 Tblsp water. Add the quartered plums and cook on medium-low heat.
- While the plums are cooking, in a large bowl, whisk together the cacao powder, cocoa powder, brown sugar, chia seeds, gluten free flour, salt, and corn meal.
- Whisk in the egg and almond milk. If the batter is still too thick, add some more almond milk (should run easily off of the spoon).
- Finally, stir in the melted chocolate.
- Grease and Heat a large pan to medium-high heat. Pour small amounts of the batter onto the pan (maybe 2-3 spoonfulls at a time) to form the pancakes. Cook on each side for about 2mins.
- By the time you are done making the pancakes, the plums will have cooked down nicely!
- Top your pancakes with the spiced plums and serve with honey or maple syrup.
Makes about 8 medium-sized pancakes.