Forget chocolate-covered strawberries, try chocolate-covered donuts WITH strawberries on top! These light, cake-y chocolate donuts are topped with a gorgeous deep glaze, and sprinkled with pops of pink and red (the strawberries!) This is an easy recipe that delivers a delicious showstopper. Just in time for Valentine’s Day… But also ideal any time of year.
Chocolate Baked Donuts with Chocolate Glaze and Strawberries
by Alyssa Noui
makes 10-12 donuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, browned
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened coca powder
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 325F. Spray 1 or 2 donut pans with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk the dry ingredients flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold until all of the ingredients are incorporated, scraping the bottom of the bowl thoroughly.
- Pour batter into a gallon ziplock bag. Twist the top to create a piping bag and snip half an inch from the tip. Pipe the donut pans 2/3 full. You can also use spoons to fill the pan.
- Bake donuts 11-13 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for five minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat if only using one donut pan.
Make the glaze:
- Whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Add 2 tablespoons of milk and whisk thoroughly. Add milk 1 teaspoon at a time, whisking thoroughly until thick but still pourable.
- Once the donuts are completely cooled, dip or pour glaze over the the donut. Return to wire rack and sprinkle with crumbled strawberries. Let harden 5-10 minutes. Enjoy within two days.