My Candy Cane Meringues will be a beautiful little addition to your holiday dessert trays. Whatever you celebrate over the holidays (I celebrate Christmas!) these will be lovingly enjoyed by all. Just before your night out, throw these in some little festive gift bags as party gifts! (PS I’m wearing a LORAC lip colour!)
Candy Cane Meringues
- 3 Tblsp candy cane, crushed or ground
- 3 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar (superfine if possible)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 50g of chocolate to shave over batter
- Preheat oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Whisk eggs on medium adding a pinch of salt. Whisk until they start to thicken and then increase the speed to medium high and begin adding the sugar, 1 Tblsp at a time.
- Add vinegar, and increase the speed to high. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula, fold in the crushed peppermint. Don’t over-stir otherwise the meringue will fall.
- Using a fine grater, shave 25g (about a square) of the chocolate over the batter so you get these tiny little flakes of chocolate.
- Scoop the batter into a piping bag fit with a circular tip (or just cut the corner of a plastic bag if you don’t have piping tips) and pipe small mounds of the meringue onto a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for a minute only, then turn the oven off completely. Let sit for 3 hours in the oven until fully cooked. Finish by shaving the remaining chocolate over the meringues.