Happy Thanksgiving! I made this cinnamon spice loaf just in time for the Thanksgiving holiday. Its low in fat, gluten-free, and sweetened with coconut sugar instead of refined white sugar, so its easy on your caloric intake over the holiday. I added lots of cinnamon and vanilla seeds for deep flavour, and topped the loaf with pecans for a nutty crunch. My favourite time to enjoy this loaf is in the morning with my tea.
Autumn Cinnamon Spice Cake
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup plus 1/2 cup coconut sugar, divided
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon plus 3 Tblsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup vanilla yoghurt, plus 1/2 cup for filling
- 1/2 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease two medium sized loaf pans with oil (or use one 9×11″ loaf pan.)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup of coconut sugar, baking soda, salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, eggs, oil, and vanilla seeds. Stir into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and 3 Tblsp cinnamon. Set aside.
- Pour half of the batter evenly into the loaf pans (or all into one large loaf pan), and fill them to the middle with batter. Spread a layer of yoghurt with the 1/2 cup vanilla yoghurt on top of the batter, then sprinkle a layer of the coconut sugar and cinnamon mixture on top. Spread the remaining batter on top. Finally top with the pecans, and the coconut sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 45mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.