For anyone having a big Fourth of July celebration with lots of guests, its nice to have a dessert that can be made ahead of time, in large quantity, and for guests to assemble themselves. That’s why my Chocolate Chip Meringues with Berry Compote are perfect to celebrate the red, white, and blue! These are gluten and dairy free, and so allergy-sufferer friendly.
CHOCOLATE CHIP MERINGUE
2 egg whites
1/3 cup super fine sugar
1/3 cup icing sugar
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 pint raspberries
1 pint blueberries
3 Tblsp sugar
1/4 cup water
- Prepare the berry sauce first as you can store this up to several days in the fridge. Wash berries and place in a pot with the water and sugar. Heat on medium until it begins to bubble then reduce to medium-low and cook until the berries have softened, about 5mins. Stir to incorporate. Remove from heat and set aside, or in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two bakings sheets with parchment paper.
- In a stand-mixer, whisk the egg whites on high until they become thick and fluffy (until soft peaks form).
- While whisking, one tablespoon at a time, add the icing sugar, and then the super fine sugar. Finally add the cream of tartar.
- Once stiff peaks form, your meringue is ready and you can gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon equal amounts of the meringue onto the baking sheets in nice mounds, leaving 1 inch between each round. Place meringues in the oven, and immediately turn off the oven. Allow the meringues to cook for 2 hours in the gentle heat.
- Remove from oven and spoon berry compote over-top to serve.
- Meringues can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
Makes about 12 meringues.